Cracked by Dr. Drew Pinksy




I am completely addicted to the VH1 shows "Celebrity Rehab" and it's spin-off, "Sober House." Not to mention I have been a Loveline fan for years, so when I was at the bookstore perusing and came across a book written by Dr. Drew I had to read it.

A good portion of the book is basically Celeb Rehab in written form minus the celebrities. I guess addiction looks the same whether you are rich and famous or a broke nobody.

What I found was interesting was the running commentary by Pinsky not only about the situations at hand from a medical standpoint, but also what was going on in his heart and head. On tv he portrays a calm demeanor, unaffected by the chaos and sadness his profession brings. In reality is deeply affected and doesn't always feel in control of the situation. It was an interesting perspective.

I also liked how he went into his theories and biology behind addiction and why addicts just can't up and stop. Again, it was an interesting perspective.

I would recommend this book with a caveat. (Other than it's not the best written!) It has frank discussion of drug abuse and all that goes with it, sexual abuse, abusive parents, violence, etc etc. Plus what I would describe as "real-life" language (ie tons of f-bombs). Like I said though, it's an interesting perspective on a problem that plagues our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment